SOURCE developing rural creativity is a cross border initiative which aims to generate growth in the creative industries sector through training, infrastructure and the creation of information centres. The programme is targeting areas of Leitrim, Sligo and Fermanagh and is funded by the European Union INTERREG IIIA Programme Ireland/N Ireland 2000 -2006.
Our definition of creative industries includes the areas of:
- Craft design and production
- Design (furniture, clothing, textiles, etc.)
- software & computer services
- the performing arts
- advertising & P.R.
- media (radio, film, publication)
How will this be achieved?
- Development of creative Workspace facilities
- Regional Resource Centres
Development of Creative Workspace Facilities
A series of grant-aided (max of €106,000) mini landmark projects (one per region) of designed studio space, to flexibly accommodate small creative businesses. The action will transform underutilised buildings into vibrant creative ventures, at the heart of rural communities, in a very cost effective way. The closing date for applications is the 31st March 2006 at 5pm. Please contact the Source Office now for an application form.
The SOURCE project also focuses on the nurturing and development of Creative talent within the various regions. A multi layered training programme has been devised which will assist those who are thinking of setting up a creative business as well as those already in business who wish to grow.
The training programmes consist of the following courses:
Training and support in connection to becoming self-employed achieved either through setting up a small business or working freelance and undertaking commission work. Workshops starting May 2006.
Business enhancement training and professional development for those currently working in the cultural industries in the region. Workshops starting May 2006.
- INNOVATIVE DESIGN WORKSHOPS
Trends Forecasting, Product Design and Product Development. Product Design Workshops on Wed 19 Apr, Thur 20 Apr and Fri 21 Apr.
- PROGRESSIVE TOPICS WORKSHOPS
Creative thinking, Marketing yourself, Creative problem solving and Impressing Clients. Creative Thinking Workshop on Thur 16 Mar, Marketing Yourself Workshop on Thur 4 May, Problem Solving Workshop on Thur 8 Jun and Exciting Clients Workshop on Thur 14 Sep.
The information leaflets and application forms can be downloaded from the website www.arignaleader.org/source.
Regional Resource Centres
Another development by Source is the establishment of the Regional Resource Centres which will provide information services for the entire creative, craft and design sector in the regions. This will include the following:
- An information centre and library - It will provide a central information resource to collate materials generated through research activities, all training materials used and trends forecasting portfolios.
- Buyers Resource - This meeting facility will allow for the promotion of inward buying visits e.g. fashion, craft, deign & print where we will target key industry buyers and invite them to the regional facility where they will have prearranged appointments with the creative businesses in a conducive environment.
- ICT/Media Centre - The computer station will include the latest technology in desktop publishing, Computer Aided Design packages and research tools which creative business can access on a pre-arranged appointment basis
- Ideas Database - database of opportunities and business ideas specific to the creative industry
- Research/Advisory Officer - Provision of a research, information and advisory service. This will be available at the Regional Resource Centres. It will be run on a clinic basis with members entering queries on an enquiry sheet where the Officer can review and respond accordingly.
The Resource Centres should be ready for use by April 2006.
For further information on SOURCE, application forms, subsequent dates and venues or to book onto a training course please contact the SOURCE team on (00353) 71 9646186 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.