Fermanagh District Council in partnership with the Fermanagh Ramblers and Hillwalkers Club, Knockatallen Rambler’s Club, the National Trust, Northern Ireland Environment Agency and Disability Sports Northern Ireland have to put together a diverse weekend walking programme based at a number of beautiful locations throughout County Fermanagh.
The festival will take place over the weekend of the 19-21st September 2008 and participation in the festival is FREE of charge. Over the course of the weekend, walks will take place at different locations throughout the County as part of the Fermanagh Walking Festival. At the majority of venues three grades of walk will be available, these are a Family walk, Intermediate walk and Advanced walk. In a change from last year, the inclusive walk will take place this year on Friday 19th September. Therefore, regardless of your level or fitness or ability you are sure to find a walk that will cater for you and enable you to explore the spectacular landscapes of Fermanagh. A brief outline of each day’s activities is listed below.
Friday 19th September: Inclusive walk, Castle Archdale Country Park, 1.5km in length, beginning at 11:00a.m., approx 1 hour duration
Saturday 20th September:
Registration: Coach House in the Stableyard within Florence Court Estate (Times vary depending on the walk chosen)
• Family Walk: 1.5km in length, approx 1 hour duration, around the Pleasure Grounds, Florence Court Gardens.
• Intermediate walk: 6.5km in length, approx 4 hours duration, Benaughlin Mountain and Florence Court Forest.
• Advanced Walk: 12/13km in length, approx. 6 hours duration, summit of Cuilcagh Mountain and back.
Sunday 21st September:
Registration: Derrygannon Community Centre (Times vary depending on the walk chosen)
• Family Walk: 3.0km in length, approx 1.5 hours duration, around the grounds of Crom Estate.
• Intermediate Walk: 7.0km in length, approx 4 hours duration, Slieve Beagh Mountain (West)
• Advanced walk: 12/13km in length, approx 5.5 hours duration, Slieve Beagh Mountain (South and West).
An information leaflet is available here (886k PDF format).
Warm waterproof clothing and stout footwear are essential. All persons under 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Transport will be provided to the start of each walk. Booking for this event is essential. To book or request an information leaflet please contact Martina Magee, Environment Officer, Fermanagh District Council, Townhall, Enniskillen, BT74 7BA on 028 6632 5050 via e-mail at [email protected] or via textphone on 028 6632 7969.
The closing date for booking is Thursday 18th September 2008.