Background to Fermanagh District Council Community Relations Programme
Fermanagh District Council has participated in central government's Community Relations programme since 1990. On approval of our annual operational plan, 75% of programme costs are allocated to Fermanagh District Council from the Community Relations Unit (housed in OFMDFM), the remaining 25% sourced.
Presently the District Council Programme, as a tool in enhancing and promoting better community relations, is being reviewed undertaking the auspices of the Office of the First and Deputy First Minister. Recommendations from the Harbinson Review are expected late this year.
FDC remains committed to enhancing Community Relations in the district.
The policy aim is to "encourage contact, co-operation, and understanding between the different religious, political and cultural traditions in the district and to promote relationship building within the community."
The three prongs to FDC DCCRP outlined in it's inception:
· develop cross community contact and co-operation
· promote greater mutual understanding
· increase respect for cultural traditions.
Objectives are as follows
· to promote co-operation between the different sections of the community
· to develop the capacity for transforming communal divisions/conflicts
· to promote understanding and respect for cultural traditions and diversity
· to develop the capacity for relationship building.
Associated objectives are:
· to promote the principles of citizenship, civic leadership and “equity, diversity and interdependence”
· to identify regional approaches to overcoming community divisions and creating greater understanding
· to promote an integrated approach to the need to have regard for good relations
Community Relations Grant Aid
All Grant applications must address the stated aims and objectives of the CR programme
The following are current guides used for grant allocation:
· Seeding grants to groups with clearly stated Community Relations Aims and Objectives - £200
· A Cross Community, Cultural Traditions or Cultural Diversity Event - Local event - Max £500 or a County wide event - Max £750
· A programme of focused community relations activity which, including either cross community contact work or single identity work, can demonstrate that it will lead to improved community relationships and specifically address related community relations issues, for example, culture, identity, diversity, equality - Max £1,000