FERMANAGH WALKING FESTIVAL 2009
Fermanagh District Council with assistance from the Fermanagh Ramblers and Hillwalkers Club, Knockatallen Rambler’s Club, the National Trust and Disability Sports NI have to put together a diverse weekend FREE walking programme based at a number of beautiful locations throughout County Fermanagh.
Fermanagh is an ideal venue for walkers. Its vast array of terrains, mountains, forests and castle walks ensure that there is a walk to suit people of all strengths, abilities and interests. Similar to last year’s programme, a number of separate walks will take place over the weekend of the 9th – 11th October 2009. The locations for this years walking events have been carefully selected to provide walkers with an opportunity to experience some of the most spectacular and diverse scenery in County Fermanagh.
Throughout the weekend different grades of walk will take place at a different locations throughout the County as part of the Fermanagh Walking Festival. On each of the days three grades of walk will be available, these are a Family walk, Intermediate and Advanced walk with the exception of Friday 9th October which has been dedicated to the inclusive walk. Therefore, regardless of your level of fitness of ability you are sure to find a walk that will cater for you and enable you to explore the spectacular landscapes of these areas of Fermanagh.
A brief outline of each day’s activities is listed below.
Friday 9th October:
Inclusive walk, Castle Coole, Enniskillen 2.0km in length, beginning at 11:00a.m., approx 1 hour duration
Saturday 10th October:
Registration: Old Cattle Yard, Florence Court Estate (Times vary depending on walk chosen)
• Family Walk: 1.5km in length, approx 1 hour duration, around the Pleasure Grounds, Florence Court Gardens.
• Intermediate walk: 7.0/8.0km in length, approx 4 hours duration, Brookfield and Florence Court Forest Park.
• Advanced Walk: 12/13km in length, approx. 6 hours duration, summit of Cuilcagh Mountain and back.
Sunday 11th October:
Registration: Coonian/Cooneen Community Centre (Times vary depending on walk chosen)
• Family Walk: 2.5km in length, approx 1.5 hours duration, around the grounds of Killyfole Lough.
• Intermediate Walk: 6.0/7.0km in length, approx 4 hours duration, Slieve Beagh Mountain (West)
• Advanced walk: 11/12km in length, approx 5.5 hours duration, Slieve Beagh Mountain (South and West).
An information leaflet on this event is available to download from this web-page. Warm waterproof clothing and stout footwear are essential. All persons under 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Transport will be provided to the start of each walk.
Booking for this event is essential. To book or request an information leaflet please contact Martina Magee or Liz Nolan, Fermanagh District Council, Townhall, Enniskillen, BT74 7BA on 028 6632 5050 via e-mail at [email protected] or [email protected] or via textphone on 028 6632 7969. The closing date for booking is 12:30p.m. on Thursday 8th October 2009.
Follow this link to download more information on the Fermanagh Walking Festival 2009. *
It is essential that the following questionnaire is completed and returned to:
Fermanagh District Council
Tel: 028 6632 5050
Fax: 028 6632 8991
All questionnaires must be completed and returned before 12.30pm on Thursday 8th October 2009. Anyone who has not completed and returned this questionnaire will not be permitted to participate in the festival. Please note that each participant must complete a questionnaire. For young persons attending the festival the questionnaire can be completed by a parent/guardian on their behalf.
Follow this link to download the Fermanagh Walking Festival 2009 Pre-walk questionnaire. *
* Note: The file is in Acrobat PDF format. You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your PC. Most new Computers have this program installed on them, however if you do not have it you can download it free of charge from the Adobe website.